Whether you keep up with the Kardashian’s or not, you probably couldn’t help but notice eldest sister Kourtney in the news recently. Ms. Kardashian paid a visit to congress with the Environmental Working Group (EWG) in support of legislation sponsored by Senators Dianne Feinstein of California, and Susan Collins of Maine. The legislation introduced the Personal Care Products Safety Act to protect consumers’ health and create uniform safety rules for companies by strengthening the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) authority to regulate the ingredients in personal care products. Safety rules for personal care products have not been updated since 1938. In light of the pending legislation, and our own commitment to all-natural ingredients, we thought it was a great time to take a closer look at our lineup of safe, gentle, and effective skin care products. We’ll look at some of our ingredients and how they work, as well as some ingredients we steer clear of for all of our products. Healthy Living Inside and Out The health benefits of natural foods has never been clearer. If you’ve made a change to a healthier diet, you know how good it can make you feel. Once you’ve committed to a healthier lifestyle with what you put IN your body, it only follows that you also consider what you put ON your body as well. While research is somewhat limited, some studies indicate that approximately 80% of lotions, sunblock, and oil enter our blood stream within 26 seconds. Think about the transdermal nicotine patch and Nitroglycerine patches and you can see the effectiveness of delivering substances through the skin into the body. Where to Begin It can be complicated to scrutinize your entire skincare routine, so a general rule of thumb is to pay closest attention to products used in the following ways:
- Anything you soak in such as bath salts or bubble bath
- Anything you apply and do not wash off, such as lotion, face and body creams, and oils
- Shampoo and conditioner. Even though you wash it off, it often makes its way over your entire body while you’re using it.
- Magnesium promotes healing of skin tissue, soothes damaged skin, and protects skin from microbes that cause allergies.
- Sulfur is a natural disinfectant and detoxifies the body.
- Calcium promotes cell renewal, enhances hydration, and helps to prevent wrinkles & fine lines.
- Bromide relieves muscle cramps, calms nerves, and repairs skin cells.
- Potassium replenishes moisture, reduces puffy skin, and helps to reduce water retention.
- Sodium relieves stiff & sore muscles, exfoliates dead cells, and detoxifies skin.