Create Great Food With 5 Simple Salt Tips
Celebrity chefs like the “Salt Bae" have brought a new popularity to cooking with salt. With his cobra-like hand position, the salt bounces off his forearm and sprays onto the meat like glitter, as the finishing touch of his latest masterpiece. Whether you have a flair for the dramatic or just a flair for serving up great food, these easy salt tips will inspire you to add your own touch of pizazz while you create delicious food your audience at home will love. 1.Salt Your Coffee Really? Yes! Salt reduces bitterness and also neutralizes the stale taste of water which sits in the tank of many coffee systems. Just a quarter teaspoon of salt for every six teaspoons of coffee will do the trick. Check out this earlier blog post for some delicious salted coffee inspiration. 2.Sweeten Up Fruit If you’ve ever added sugar to a grapefruit to cover the bitterness, you know that you just end up with overly sweet grapefruit. Instead, add salt to enhance the flavor of bitter and under-ripe fruit. Try sprinkling Salt Cellar Lime Finishing Salt on fresh watermelon, pineapple, and mango for a sweet and salty treat. Granny Smith apples will go to the head of the class with a sprinkle of Ginger Root Salt. Cut a pink grapefruit in half and broil for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Salt Cellar Vanilla Bean Finishing Salt and enjoy the sweet, juicy flavors of this warm citrus treat. 3.Sweat it Out Watery vegetables like zucchini and eggplant can get pretty darn soggy when cooking. Remove excess water beforehand, and your eggplant parmesan will go from so soggy to fantastically firm and delicious. Salting also enhances the flavor by decreasing the bitterness inherent in eggplant. Here’s how you do it:
- Peel and slice the eggplant
- Place it in a large colander with a towel underneath
- Salt generously on both sides. We like to use Himalayan Salt for excellent sweating. Let sit 30 to 60 minutes
- Or, lay the eggplant strips on a Himalayan salt block if you have one. Allow the eggplant to sweat for 30 minutes, then turn and allow the other side to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry with paper towels
- Prepare you best eggplant dish ever